Thursday, November 26, 2009

Wishing Everyone a Very Happy Thanksgiving

I must admit that I don’t understand the motivation and rationale behind Thanksgiving. Of course, I understand that Thanksgiving is a day set aside so that we might give thanks for the bounty of the past year, but I don’t really get the traditions behind the day.

So we give thanks by overindulging, by stuffing ourselves until we are utterly miserable? I have often questioned the rationale of showing thanks by engaging in a day of sanctioned gluttony. Just doesn’t really seem to make sense. Wouldn’t make better sense to show our thanks by spending a day of fasting and thoughtful reflection?

But who am I to go against the grain? Who am I to upset the applecart? So I will spend Thanksgiving indulging myself in direct proportion to those blessings that have come my way this past year, and those blessings have been many. In other words, I am going to make a pig of myself again this year, and by late this afternoon, I will be cursing myself for overdoing it once again.

But in all seriousness, I have plenty this year to be thankful for. I am thankful for having been blessed with a loving wife and wonderful children. I am thankful that we finish this year with a roof over our heads and food on the table; there are so many others who cannot make that claim.

I am thankful for the talents that have been given me. I am thankful for the opportunities I have been given this year as well as the opportunities that are to come. I am thankful for a future that looks bright.

I am thankful for supportive and understanding friends. I am even thankful for those who come against me; in responding and dealing with their negativity and opposition, I emerge on the other side a stronger, better individual.

I am thankful for the prayers of my mothers and my aunts and other family members and friends who continue to pray for me even when I am too foolish (or too arrogant) to pray for myself.

If I were too continue with those things I am thankful for, this list would continue ad naseum; however, there is one more thing that I feel I must give thanks for. I am thankful that I continue to have readers to come over and read my pitiful commentaries and occasionally leave a comment or two. Thank you and I wish you and your family and love ones a very Happy Thanksgiving.

6 comments:

River Glorious said...

Blesséd Thanksgiving to you, too, Max. Over here we use any excuse for party, as a culture, I mean.

Me, I like the holiday because we all stop for a while from the mad pace and share how we've been blessed this year. And Beloved Mother came to my house, which is great for me, since her cancer she doesn't come over often.

River

P.S. THIS year, my Thanksgiving Resolution is to stop eating right when I think I want just one more bite. :)

Reggie said...

I'm thankful for the football. But I'd be even more thankful is there were better games on than there are today.

Reggie said...

Oh yeah, Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Lyn Marie said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

I am thankful for my family and friends, even when they are driving me crazy. I'm thankful that I have them to drive me crazy and appreciate their love and patience when I'm driving them crazy! LOL!

Hope you have a wonderful day.

msladyDeborah said...

It appears that you have the true meaning of Thanksgiving. I am anti-gluttony on any day of the year.

md20737 said...

I agree this year so many lost so much but I still have a place to live and family. SO I AM THANKFUL!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails