Sunday, February 7, 2010

Which Is the Most Outlandish Headline?: Woman Breastfeeds Family Pet or Palin Wins Presidency



Okay, I just got to weigh in on this one. On Saturday morning, I ran across this article about a lady who breastfeeds her dog, and then thought so much of the idea, she took the time to pen an article about it. Try as I might not to judge her, I still could not help but to think that this was perhaps the craziest thing I had ever heard. If it is not the craziest, certainly it makes the top ten.

But then just this evening, I happened over to W.E.E. See You, and there’s this article, complete with pictures and video footage, of former republican candidate for Vice-president, Sarah Palin, referring to crib notes written on her hand during a question and answer following her Tea Party Convention key note speech.

You know, at first I was mildly amused by this whole scenario. Then I was just a tad bit concerned. And now I am more than a little bit frightened.

This was the person who could have been just a heartbeat away from being president? This is the person who seems to still harbor presidential aspirations for the year 2012? And she derides President Obama for using a teleprompter?

Let me give you the long and the short of it. After the election, we all but dismissed her chances of ever becoming president. In fact, I really thought she would just fade into the sunset after all the post-election furor subsided. But she’s still here and more popular than ever.

However, it would seem unlikely that anyone with half a brain, anyone with any critical thinking skills and any capacity for abstract thought would see her for what she is—an interloper who managed to manipulate her fifteen minutes of fame into a full time gig. But she is still around like the energizer bunny and keeps going and going and going.

And from my empirical observation, if you tell the same lie enough times and with requisite emphasis, people will begin to believe it. If she and her right wing cronies repeat the patently false notion that she possesses the knowledge and experience and ability to lead this nation often enough, enough of our countrymen who are devoid of all critical thinking skills and capacity for abstract thought just might believe it all the way to the voting both to make it a reality.

Now a woman suckling the family pet at her teat may be weird, it may be outlandish, and it may be utter and abject foolishness, but it certainly does not shock and perplex me as does the continued relevancy of one Mrs. Sarah Palin.

10 comments:

The Black Bot said...

I agree. The support of Palin is one of the marvels of our time. Each time I hear someone talk about her being president, I shake my head in wonder. People can't be that deranged are they?

Max Reddick said...

How can someone so simple go so far? Is it simply the right just needs something to cling to right now? Still trying to figure this one out.

♥ CG ♥ said...

She's such a hypocrite and proves it time and again with stuff like this....yet some folks eat it up like she's the answer to all that ails this country. I think the days of choosing leaders based on intelligence are over.

Max Reddick said...

The right seems too eager to forgive their own for their flagrant hypocrisy while pointing at everyone else's shortcoming and missteps with a pronounced energy and tenacity.

But this is what I really believe. I believe there are many on the right who recognize the hypocrisy, but who refuse to admit it because they know that to do so would be a tacit admission of their own shortcomings.

SjP said...

I've been pondering this Sarah Palin fascination thing all day. How? Why? Please! Then it hit me!

MSM is fascinated w/ Palin. They are the ones who keep this woman in our faces. They are the ones who keep her relevant. No one would even know/care what she's doing/saying if it weren't for them. So, I asked myself why? Basically, I think they cover her in an hope to find out why anyone with any intelligence would support her. And to see what new Palinism she'll come up with.

Of course, President Palin is a very scary thought. No doubt if that were to happen we all might be praying for the December 2012 end of the world prediction to have some merit.

The Skeptikone said...

In 1976, I covered my first national political convention in Kansas City. It was the GOP convention. Barry Goldwater was still alive and kicking and I met him during that convention. I also met the guy running for the GOP nomination...Ronald Reagan....During his speech to the convention...this guy said and I quote "trees causes pollution.!"

I sat back and laughed and laughed and laughed because I knew the American people even republicans would never allow this man within hailing distance of the White House.

He didn't win in 1976...But he got the nomination and beat Jimmy Carter in 1980. I covered the Democrats in 1980. The best speech was given by Ted Kennedy at MSG, but Jimmy had already won the nomination.

I stopped believing the American electorate was sane or even sorta intelligent the day that a B list actor with alzheimers took up residence at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue and then won re election four years later.

Look out in 2016...

Ann Brock said...

Chilling and Scary!

Anna Renee said...

I think Sarah Palin is just an reactionary answer to racist hatred of Pres Obama. It's not so much YES to Sarah Palin as it's NO to Pres Obama and his cabinet.
Sarah is just bold enough to ride the wave.

Kandia said...

I was convinced even before seeing the cliff notes on the hand that she has someone feeding her sound-bites to refer to during speeches...I wish she would just fade into the sunset but I gotta give it to her though she's milking her 15 minutes for what it's worth.

Denisha said...

I thought for sure folks wouldn't re-elect G.W. Bush for a 2nd term but I was shocked and appalled when they did. If folks are that freaking crazy then anything is possible with Palin. She isn't even a clever discreet cheat....she might as well have pulled out an iPad!

Related Posts with Thumbnails