Monday, May 11, 2009

Something for Our Daughters to Aspire to

Now that the furor has died down over Rhiana and Cassie’s butt-naked, spread eagle internet pix, I would like to posit a more appropriate role model for our young men and women.

As I was driving home from Tallahassee, Florida, this past Saturday, I happened to catch a National Public Radio (NPR) segment on this incredibly gifted sister, Jade Simmons. I was so impressed by the broadcast that I decided to take a closer look at Ms. Simmons once I got home.

Ms. Simmons was the 1999 Miss America first runner-up, but before you write her off as just another airheaded beauty queen, I know that stereotype is a hard one to get past, just check the resume.

After the pageant, the Charleston, South Carolina, native threw herself wholeheartedly into both local and national causes focused on increasing the quality of life for the young people of our community. Among other efforts, she founded the national school program Where Do You Stand?! which presents a series of interactive presentations on topics ranging from culture to the political climate.

Ms. Simmons began taking piano lessons at age 8, and she used this training to launch a career as a classical pianist. During 2008 and 2009, she has toured extensively in support of her debut CD, Revolutionary Rhythm (also, see sidebar), which is remarkable in that she marries the classical music form to hip-hop. She even designed the clothing she wore on stage during the tour.

From her resume, Ms. Simmons appears to be a solid woman of character. Her style, talent, intelligence, beauty, and grace are attributes I would certainly want my daughters to aspire to. Take a closer look at Ms. Simmons and see if you agree. I think she deserves our support.










1 comments:

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hey there!

What a great story!

Please write more like this!

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

Related Posts with Thumbnails