Monday, September 14, 2009

I AM (The Joy Is in the Struggle)

For those of you who follow this blog regularly, you know that I like to begin each morning with a positive thought. My grandmother always said that everything ends just as it begins; if you want something to end right, make sure it begins on the correct note.

If we begin the week yelling and shouting at each other and rehashing the absurdity of the weekend, we will carry that negative energy with us into the new week. And the problems of the world will not be solved today. There will be enough time to discuss them on tomorrow.

With that being said, I will not hold you long this morning; I will be brief. Besides, sometimes I feel I prattle on much too long. And this morning I have an early meeting, so I’ll need to run soon anyway.

But the positive word for this morning is I AM. Nothing else, just I AM.

I think it is the philosopher Wittgenstein who wrote that the statement I AM is perhaps the most powerful phrase a human being could ever utter. These two words work to form a complete thought, a declarative statement. It is a statement which confirms one’s existence. It confirms one’s place within the universe. It is a confirmation of life which, after all, is the greatest gift.

So I embrace life; I am thankful for this gift. However, I know that in another couple of hours, the foolishness will surely begin. When I leave my front door and come in contact with the outside, all hell will break loose, regardless of my attitude.

But I will face it nonetheless.

I have dominion over my own thoughts, my own actions, but unfortunately, I do not have dominion over the thoughts, the actions of others. And when they come against me, I will whisper I AM.

And in the upcoming week, when I find myself locked within the vicissitudes of living, the uncertainty of being, I will encourage myself with a reassuring I AM.

When I am tired, so tired that I feel it impossible to carry on, I will close my eyes, gather my strength, bite my lip and mutter, I AM.

When faced with an especially difficult task, I will say I AM, and set myself to the task at hand.

In all things, whether positive or negative, I will repeat as if it is a mantra, I am, I AM, I. AM.

I exist. I am alive. I am a viable part of the universe. And though I realize life is not without its trials, I embrace the good with the bad; the true joy is in the struggle.

I AM.

Love yourself, and be a blessing to somebody.

3 comments:

Keith said...

Thank you for sharing that with us. That definitely was what I needed. I've had my share of ups and downs these last couple of years. I tend to focus too much on the negative. Your post was full of insights. Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Max. This made me tear up because sometimes I struggle with finding my own inner foundation. Then I begin to feel like I am the only one who feels like this. This was a good reminder for me to find my center of gravity when I face uncertain times.

uglyblackjohn said...

I think the words "I AM" were the instant that the Big-Bang took place.
If God can create the entire Universe with the simple statement - imagine what we can accomplish in our little lives.

Related Posts with Thumbnails