Friday, April 24, 2009

My Meshell!

You know, when I heard Meshell Ndegeocello for the first time several years ago, I got excited! Coincidentally, I caught the video for her jam “If That’s Your Boyfriend (He Wasn’t Last Night)” on BET (I don’t know why I was even watching BET), and later I happened upon the CD, Plantation Lullabies, in the store (serendipity?). After I checked it out, I ran back to the store and bought everything by Meshell I could find.

And over the years, she has not failed to deliver. Cookie: The Anthropological Mixtape got me through graduate school. In fact, it appeared on a syllabus or two in a couple of classes I taught.

I have yet to catch her live in concert, though. But it’s certainly on my things to do as soon as possible list. Anyway, here’s a recent interview I found on the web.



And while you are here, check out the video that started it all for me, plus I got all hyped and threw in a short funk piece. Damn, she bad!



0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails