Monday, April 27, 2009

This little piggie went to market. This little piggie started a major pandemic.


Okay, what gives?

Now, I’m not one to easily panic; I pride myself on being able to keep my cool regardless of the situation. But this whole swine flu thing has me a little off kilter.

I’m getting mixed signals. This from MSNBC.com:

"President Barack Obama said Monday the threat of spreading swine flu infections was a concern but "not a cause for alarm," while customs agents began checking people coming into the United States by land and air."

Not cause for alarm, but you’re shaking folk down at the border for the flu bug. And then the little white lady from the CDC came on CNN last night and all but said, “Panic now bitches and beat the rush.” The president has declared a state of emergency. The EU has warned Europeans not to even visit the U.S. and Mexico. What about all those people walking around with masks on that I keep seeing on the news and in the paper?

Right now we’re being told the best that we can do to keep ourselves safe and healthy is wash our hands frequently and stay away from work or other public places if we happen to feel ill. That’s all well and good, but what if by the very nature of your job, you are around a bunch of nasty motherfuckers who can’t afford to miss a day of work all day. We are in a recession after all. What then?

My mother seems to think that it’s a sign of the end. You know, worldwide pestilence and all that. I don’t know what it’s the sign of. Maybe it’s a sign that I should not spend so much time online and watching news shows and scaring my own black ass.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails